Saturday, June 6, 2009

Segou

I just got back from a trip to Segou. It is a city south of my site by about 7 hours. I met up with Natalie, Steve, Mark and Sam, who are my friends from Kayes. We all stayed with Markham who lives in Segou.
Segou is famous for it's bougolan, which is a fabric painted with mud. There is a museum there that was really interesting. Here is Sam, Mark, Natalie, me and Markham about to learn how to make bougalon.We are learning about it from a guide (I forgot his name).
We each get to make a little bit.
You paint the fabric with mud and then clean it off with water. Here I am cleaning mine.
I have no idea how it works.
Then you put it in dye for some fun colors.
While it sits in the sun to dry, we take a tour of the facility.
It is beautiful and very interesting.
It is a working museum. They make beautiful bougalon!
We had a lot of fun.
Then there was a gift shop. :-)
Some samples of bougalon:
Natalie made a friend on the taxini ride back to Markham's:

We ate lunch at a Togolese restaurant:
The next day we spent at a hotel pool.

They had free wireless internet:









Pretty bird:
Segou was amazing!

No comments: